Publish LinkedIn Articles to Grow Your Business
A great way to build your personal profile as well as your company footprint is to publish Articles on LinkedIn.
By writing content on your own website first, then writing a LinkedIn Article that introduces or summarizes the article and links over to it, you can grow your organic footprint as well as expand your reach across the LinkedIn platform.
Writing a LinkedIn Article is Easy
Follow these simple steps to create and publish a LinkedIn Article:
- Log in to your LinkedIn profile.
- Click Write an article near the top of your homepage. This takes you to the publishing tool.
- Alternatively, you can scroll down the page as you read an article on LinkedIn. You’ll see the Write an article button appear next to Like, Comment, and Share in the top bar, below the LinkedIn navigation bar.
- Click the Headline field to type the headline of your article.
- Your Headline serves an important purpose in LinkedIn searches and will help your article get discovered by LinkedIn Users, so write it carefully. Use keywords and emotion when you can.
- If you’re unable to click into the Headline field, you may have a browser extension that is blocking this functionality. The two extensions that we know cause this issue, are Lazarus and Grammarly. This can be resolved by disabling these extensions and refreshing the editor.
- Click the Write here field to type the content of your article.
- You can add images and other rich media to your article for visual impact and to further engage and inform your reader.
- Be sure to include hyperlinks to your website or sources for information you are presenting in your article to validate the knowledge you are sharing. See below for more information about hyperlinks in LinkedIn articles.
- You can also add a cover image to the top of your article, that serves like the cover of a book.
- Click the Publish button in the top right of the page.
- You won’t have the option to preview your content prior to publishing. Your article draft shows you how the published version will look. You can share your article draft with others prior to publishing.
- In the pop-up window that appears, click Publish or click the Cancel icon to continue editing your article.
- DON’T WORRY: Once your article is published, you can edit or delete it at any time if you find an error after your article is live.
How to Hyperlink Text in LinkedIn Articles
You can also include hyperlinks in your articles on LinkedIn:
- Type the text.
- Highlight your text.
- Click the Link icon in the toolbar at the top of the page and insert your URL.
- Press enter or click Apply.
What to Know About Your LinkedIn Articles
- Your original article content becomes part of your professional profile. It’s displayed on the Articles section of your LinkedIn profile.
- Published articles are shared with your connections and followers in their news feeds, and sometimes through notifications.
- LinkedIn Members that aren’t in your network can follow you from your article, so that your next article will be surfaced in their feeds.
- Your article may be searchable both on and off LinkedIn, depending on your profile settings. Having your public profile visibility set to “everyone” will distribute your articles publicly. That’s a terrific way to leverage the LinkedIn Publishing platform to expand your reach.
- You can click the Share icon located next to the author byline or at the bottom of the article to share it on LinkedIn, Facebook, or Twitter. As you scroll down the page, you’ll also see the Share icon in a top bar that will appear below the LinkedIn navigation. Sharing on your other social profiles will help your expand your readership, get your article content indexed, and drive additional traffic.
- If you wish, you can disable the ability to leave comments on your published articles. But consider this carefully – one of the great powers of LinkedIn is the ability to engage your audience – so inviting commentary and discussion is a powerful tool you may want to take advantage of.